Just like you work to stay physically healthy, you need to work to keep your mind sharp. But when it comes to brain work, it doesn’t need to be work at all.
Your brain actually benefits and is stimulated, when you’re having fun. Here are 5 ways to keep your mind sharp and have a good time while you’re at it.
5 Ways to Keep Your Mind Sharp
1. Learn Something New
Have a bucket list of things you’ve wanted to learn about? Learning new information is fun and good for your brain.
- Explore new types of music
- Learn to play a new game
- Read a book on an unfamiliar subject
- Plant a container garden
- Take a class on a topic that interests you
- Get a new piece of technology
Now’s your chance to choose what you want to learn, so the sky’s the limit!
2. Use Your Senses
The more senses you use, the more your brain is activated. So challenge your senses on a daily basis, as well as when you try something new.
- Try to guess the ingredients by smell while you cook
- Experiment with spices you’ve never used before
- Give sculpting or ceramics a try, notice the feel and smell of the clay
- Take a solo hike and listen to the trees, birds and animals around you
- Stroll through a craft/fabric store, look and touch the variety of fabrics
You’ll be surprised how much you benefit from using multiple senses in your activities.
3. Laugh – a lot!
Laughter really is the best medicine – for the mind, body and soul. Laughing boosts the immune system and relieves tension in the body.
- Enjoy a favorite funny movie
- Share a weekly meal with people who keep you laughing
- See a humorous play
- Listen to an amusing story
- Surround yourself with those who share your sense of humor
4. Believe in Yourself
Don’t buy into the myths or stereotypes about being too old to try something new. Studies show learners do worse on memory tasks when they’re exposed to negativity and better when the messages are positive. It’s much more fun to be positive, anyway!
5. Be a Social Butterfly
Interaction with others challenges our brain and makes us feel better. Science proves humans don’t do well in isolation.
- Join a new club
- Volunteer with a local organization
- Work part-time
- Regularly invite friends over
- Say yes to invitations you receive
Want to learn more tips and tricks about aging well? Here is your FREE A-Z guide on Living and Aging the Way You Want. Click the icon and get your copy today!
Twin Lakes is a continuing care retirement community in Cincinnati, Ohio, offering villa homes, apartments, rehab services and more. We’re focused on supporting the vibrant and active lifestyles of our residents so they can age well. For more information, contact Twin Lakes online or at 513-247-1300.