There are many benefits of Assisted Living that can make daily life more manageable. Assisted Living offers the comfort of a private residence in addition to the convenience of services and amenities.
While it will vary across communities, you can usually expect some basic services. These generally include assistance with bathing, dressing, and household tasks.
Each resident has support tailored to their individual needs. This focus allows a resident to maintain greater independence for longer.
3 Benefits of an Assisted Living Residence
One of the most common reasons that someone may seek an Assisted Living environment is that they are in need of assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).
- Personal care services such as bathing and dressing ease the burden of performing those tasks. These tasks may become increasingly difficult as we age.
- With less time and energy spent on self-care, residents can pursue interests. For example, there is more time for family and friends and for pursuing hobbies.
- Having a nurse available provides many benefits. They can assist in managing medications and monitor changes in your health. in addition, they can communicate this information to your physicians, which ultimately allows for more continuity in your care.
Tip: When looking into Assisted Living facilities ask for a full list of services offered. You should also request a list of any additional costs that can be incurred. If you have long-term care insurance, inquire about how benefits may be applied. Finally, ask if there is a physician that provides on-site visits.
An assisted living environment provides residents with a simplified lifestyle and freedom from home maintenance.
When looking at possible options, ask if the community offers any of the following:
- Laundry and Housekeeping Services
- Transportation Services or Shopping Shuttles
- A Calendar of Events
- Variety of Dining Options
- Excursions or Day Trips
- Salon Services
- Spaces for Hosting Private Events
Tip: In addition to asking about costs for these conveniences, inquire about hours of operation. For example how often and when are shopping trips planned? When is the salon open? How do you make an appointment? What health services can be received? A quick visit on campus may prevent unnecessary trips to your doctor’s office or the hospital.
Assisted living communities also offer robust programming opportunities. These social events enrich the lives of residents.
Events and Programs
Associates provide a variety of experiences to accommodate a resident’s needs. Opportunities are designed to be enjoyed year-round. From clubs to art programs, music and excursions, a resident can choose what to participate in and when.
One of the simplest social opportunities offered is centered around something done 3 times a day – eating! Meals are often served in restaurant-style dining rooms. This helps foster relationships among residents. It also eliminates the burden of daily meal preparation.
Tip: Ask to see a calendar of events on campus. You can also look at the opportunities in the local community. Request a dining menu to review cuisine options.Life Enriching Communities, Inc. (LEC), is an integrated family of lifestyle communities and senior living services in greater Cincinnati. Best known for our Twin Towers and Twin Lakes senior living communities, we have made aging well a top priority for nearly 120 years.