By Jim Mayer, Content Contributor and former Executive Director Twin Lakes Senior Living Community.
Every year during the first few months of the new year we all start rationalizing about our New Year’s resolutions; either why or how we are doing on our list to change or develop a new habit. This year I am encouraging myself and others, to embrace some outward resolutions that will benefit not just me, but those around me as well.
Let’s make this year’s new year’s resolutions be a little different. Instead of doing something for yourself; change it up by doing something positive for someone else.
8 Resolutions That Benefit Others
- Become a volunteer for a needy organization.
- Do something FOR someone every day ( it can be little)– without expecting anything in return.
- Listen to a friend about an issue that you have heard about many times before.
- Call someone (re-connect) that you have not talked with for a long time and just say hello.
- Perform random acts of kindness – anonymously.
- Meet new people. If you’re staying at home most of the time, you’re missing out on a lot of interesting opportunities to enjoy life and share your spirit with others.
- Become more polite. Good manners have always been an important part of a civilized society and you never know what kind of day that other person has had.
- Compliment someone every day: don’t forget your spouse and family members.
Think of others when preparing your list of resolutions and resolve to try one these positive changes for a week or two. You will soon notice that doing for others makes you feel better and gives you a “purpose of life” that will keep improving you all year.
Twin Lakes is a continuing care retirement community in Cincinnati, Ohio, offering villa homes, apartments, rehab services and more. We’re focused on supporting the vibrant and active lifestyles of our residents so they can age well. For more information, contact Twin Lakes online or at 513-247-1300.